91 Camry Brake and Charge lights on

A couple of days ago, I noticed the brake and charge lights on. I had brake fluid in the car. I had the alternator checked and it checked good, then I had the battery checked and it checked bad. I brought a new battery and after 1 day, the lights came on again. The car stopped and had no power. When I get a jump start, the car cranks and when you remove the cables, it still runs, but once you start to drive the car, it cuts off even if you keep giving it gas. What all can be wrong?

Reply to
mjjoy

What is the condition of the cables to battery, see any corrosion? You may have a short somewhere on the electrical harness. When car was running did all the light (headlight, brake, turning, etc) work correctly?

Reply to
jjjsan

there was no corrosion on the cables. I do notice that when I use the left turn signal, it buzzes for a few seconds. All of the lights seem to work properly. Someone tried to tell me that it could be the starter because it supplies power to the battery. That sounds odd because it was having no trouble starting and I would think that it had nothing to do with the brake light. I have also heard that it could be the voltage regulator or alternator. (Of course if I knew, I wouldn't be here--lol)

Reply to
mjjoy

there was no corrosion on the cables. I do notice that when I use the left turn signal, it buzzes for a few seconds. All of the lights seem to work properly. Someone tried to tell me that it could be the starter because it supplies power to the battery. That sounds odd because it was having no trouble starting and I would think that it had nothing to do with the brake light. I have also heard that it could be the voltage regulator or alternator. (Of course if I knew, I wouldn't be here--lol)

Reply to
mjjoy

You'll need to measure the voltage at battery terminal before you start the car and after it is running. You could have a bad alternator, or volt regulator. That means you are just running on the battery and its running out of juice. How's the belt on the alternator, is it loose, was it tighten correctly? I believe the voltage should be about 12.7 to 13.7 volts when charger is working. If charging system is OK, then there is a short/resistance on the harness somewhere, that may take sometime to find.

Reply to
jjjsan

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Most common source - worn alternator brushes - inexpensive and fairly simple to replace. Could be working intermittently which might explain why alternator tests good and then battery dies. Gnerally, you'll see the charge light come on, then go off, then come on again.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

on our 88 Camry, it was the alternator when the brake/charge lights came on.....perhaps the alternator is working intermittent.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

May need to replace brushes or replace entire Alt. Have Alt tested again.

Reply to
jjjsan

I have 91 Camry also and had a simular problem and it was the fuses had corroded terminals coming from on the positive cable leads right by the battery.I pulled the fuses,cleaned the terminals put some D-40 on the terminals and reinstalled them.Seemed to take care of it.

Reply to
Jim50

I have 91 Camry also and had a simular problem and it was the fuses had corroded terminals coming from on the positive cable leads right by the battery.I pulled the fuses,cleaned the terminals put some D-40 on the terminals and reinstalled them.Seemed to take care of it.

Reply to
Jim50

Reply to
Jason