91 Camry Power Steering

Power steering fluid is leaking. My guess is that the pump is going out. How big of a job is this one?

Reply to
Mbt6

that may be coming from the lines to the pump or more likely from the steering rack itself. The steering racks on these cars leak at high mileage..not a DIY job for most folks.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Your pump probably is not bad. The top hose connected to your pump has a small copper washer under the fluid bold, these go bad and must be replaced or they will leak. Instead of paying big bucks for one at Toyota, you can buy the copper oil plug gaskets at Advance auto parts for a dollar or two. Of course you could have a leaking o-ring on the lower hose to pump connection point (this is much easier to get to than the top one)the o-ring is about $6.00 from Toyota. You really need to use a flashlight and watch the pump area while the car is running to determine where the leaking is coming from. Removing the pump is a real bear in this car. Your Rack & Pinion could be leaking also. I am in the process of changing the rack and pinion in my 1990 Camry now. I hope this info helps. Scott

Reply to
gatordog007

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi