99 Camry - Check Engine Light - Evap system

I recently had my Camry in a follow-up repair on the flex pipe (a hangar bolt sheared off & had to be replaced). I had the dealer check out the reason for the check engine light and they said it had to do with the Evap system, but they gave me no code.

The car runs extremely smooth and I always seal the gas cap tightly. There are no gas fumes that I detect in or around the car. It has the

5S-FE 4-cyl engine with about 47k miles.

ALLDATA has several TSBs on the 99 Camry/5S-FE engine EVAP system: EG005-01, EG004R-99, and EG004-99. How can I determine if the problem is due to one of these TSBs or something else, other than relying on the dealer's word (groan)?

Is this something I can fix myself? I've purged Evap cansiters before so that doesn't present a problem for me. But I don't see a canister present on my car.

Reply to
Aquilonious

A follow-up to my original message.

The check engine light had been reset after the local shop told my friend (who took my car in to have it checked) that the gas cap may have been loose. They reset the light, tightened the cap. We drove it for a while, then the light came back on. We took it back to the local shop and they reset it again. But alas, the light came back on yet again and has been on ever since. As I mentioned below, I always turn the cap until it's tight--several clicks--and this is why I don't think it has anything to do with the cap--the cap is in excellent condition.

One thing I noticed today is that after getting back from the store I loosened the cap and it didn't hiss, and this is after driving on about a 1/4 tank of gas. It used to hiss every time I refilled the tank.

I called the Toyota dealer and they don't have the code because they said they didn't note it. I asked them about the ALLDATA TSBs but they said they would have to check the car again to determine whether it's TSB-related or not. I hesitate taking it in again because it's a long drive to the dealer--50 miles (yeah, I live in timbuktu).

Reply to
Aquilonious

I had a similar situation on my 2000 Camry and it turned out that I had to replace the VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve) for the pressure switching valve. I did it myself and it fixed the problem. The Haynes manual was a great help. It shows exactly where the valve is and how to test it before replacing it. Turned out very simple actually. There are a few of those VSVs on the Camry and they can all be tested quickly if suspicious. All it takes is an ohmmeter after they have been taken out of the car. JG

Reply to
Jean-Guy Paradis