92 Camry AC Cooling Erratic

I have a '92 Camry LE , 6cyl, with some 237,000 miles on it. AC blows plenty cold sometimes, then other times will suddenly stop and start blowing warm. I might shut it off for a few hours and then it might start blowin cold again. Never know which it is going to be. Hate to take long trips in the summertime, cause I never know when suddenly it might stop blowing cold.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Poster Man

probably a leak, have it fixed and recharged.

Reply to
ROBMURR

If the system stops cooling a while after it has been running, you may have a restriction somewhere that freezes during use and then melts when you cut off the system. That usually happens in the orifice tube. But, with 237k, there may be other issues. Take it to someone who know something and they should be able to tell you in less than an hour.

Reply to
qslim

No - It cannot be a leak. If the Freon leaked out, it would not suddenly get back into the system and start working again. Check to see if there is some clogging of the evaporator. If the airflow is restricted across the evap unit, the system will cool quite nicely until moisture freezes on the evap coils and then - Boom - it stops working. Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

Obviously, this isn't a leak. I had the same problem with my '89 MR2. It only had 140,000 miles on it. I suspected that there was moisture in the system that was freezing when it got too cold and would work again once it thawed. I had the whole system vacuumed and then changed the receiver/dryer myself. I then had it charged with freon and AC oil. It never gave me the same problems. I still don't know to this day if my theory was correct. Nonetheless, the actions I took fixed the problem somehow.

Reply to
Viperkiller