97 Camry Trouble. Please help!!

Hi,

I have a 97 Camry, 4 cylinder, 112K miles. Recently while driving I heard a strage popping type noise. I thought a tire blew, but it didn't. Actually it sounded kind of like metal, if that makes any sense. Shortly thereafter, I started to hear a very loud creaking noise coming from the same area (left rear) while accelerating and decelerating at lower speeds, as well as when going over bumps or dips or making tight turns.

I took it to the dealership and they said I needed new struts and mounts, so I paid for that ($1K!). After completing the work, they said I should have the brakes done too, but they were ok for now. The obnoxious noise ceased for about 2 days, then reappeared in full force. It lasted for about 2 days, then disappeared again. For several weeks all I heard was some general noises while braking here and there so I thought maybe the obnoxious creaking noise had been taken care of. WRONG! Yesterday it came back and it's as bad as ever! I took it to the dealership again today and they said that the strut work is fine, I'm hearing my front brakes (which currently have after market pads.) I have a lot of trouble swallowing this for the following reasons:

  • Why would I hear loud creaking in the left rear due to ANY issue with the front brakes?

  • Despite the after market pads, which have always sqeaked a little, why would I hear any brake problems when I'm not using the brakes at all?

  • Why did I pay K for struts when at this point in time there is no noticeable difference between my car now and prior to the strut & mount work? I didn't drop a thousand dollars to listen to the same maddening noise!!

If you have any thoughts at all on this PLEASE let me know. I really feel like I've been taken advantage of!

Thanks :) Cara

Reply to
CaraDienes

Did you go for a ride with someone at the dealership so that you could point out and therefore agree on where the noise was coming from? After a 100,000 miles it probably didn't hurt to put the struts on, although $1K was a lot of money. Leave it to dealerships! :( Don't feel bad, I had a similar experience when all I needed to do was replace the rear anti-sway bar bushings ($100 at the dealer). I paid around $439 at an Advance Auto Parts store for my struts and mounts.

Wonder if a Spring broke? (I'm not a mechanic so have no idea, but..). Sounds like possibly something broke in the rear. I'd go back to the dealer and ask for the service manager and have them test drive it with me. Once they figure out the problem, I'd be talking to the Manager about improperly diagnosing the car by failing to drive it with you originally, and failing to drive it after the repair. Act crazy - most men are scared of women. :)

Posterman

Reply to
Poster Man

They incorrectly diagnosed your car. Take it back and have them drive it while it makes the noise. Then ask for your money back. Your back brakes should be fine, my 97 has the original rear brake pad at 190,000 miles.

Reply to
ROBMURR

It's a horrid thought after spending $1000, but I wonder if one of your rear brake pads is worn enough to bring the pad wear indicator into action. This can make a clicking or groaning noise, but only when the brakes are applied.

The CV joints can click or creak too if they are dry and worn, under the conditions you describe, but that noise comes from the front. It would be especially apparent doing tight turns.

Does anyone have access to Alldata service bulletins? They list

BR004-00 OCT 00 Brakes - Pad Clicking Noise SU002-00 MAY 00 Suspension - Rear Axle/Shock/Coil Reminder, ABS SU003-98 AUG 98 Suspension - Groans From Front Driving Over Bumps

Geoff

--
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to