92 service scedual

My mother has a 92 4 cyl. auto and her car is in Alabama and mostly driven short distances except once a week when she drives it on the highway for a bit. The car is driven about 5,000 miles per year. She does get the oil changed regularly every 2 to 3 months. Car runs fine. She is retired with a limited income so I'm trying to help her decide which service to get. I don't believe she had the 30,000 mile service. She prefers to have the car done at a dealer.

The dealer where she gets service is quoting $180 for the mini service. This includes basically new plugs, air filter and replace coolant as well as an oil and filter change which she just had.

The full service is $365. This includes what looks to me to be additional inspections.

The necessary timing belt replacement is $250 by itself but $190 with either of the above services.

I'm inclined to tell her to go ahead with the less expensive service and in addition have them just pull the transmission dipstick, and if it needs it, to drain and replace the fluid.

She did have the front brake lines replaced last summer after one failed due to corrosion so I'm guessing that they saw the brakes at that time in order to bleed them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Marc

Reply to
Marc

Their prices are high but because of age more is needed Brake flushing, cooling flush , differential fluid , transmission filter, 12 yrs on a timing belt ?- rubber rots. Hoses , and belts. Your Toy dealer will be real high , shop around. Tires dry rot ? Tires over 5 yrs get hard and loose traction. Take it out when wet and see how it breaks if it skids at all. Even if you dont drive it maintenance has to be done. The dunlops i had went hard and skidded at 5 - 6 yrs . Some things cant be avoided and need replacing for saftey.

Reply to
m Ransley