My first maintenance on 4Runner - dealer wants $70!

Just called the Dealer where I bought the vehicle, they want $70 for the

5,000 mile service. It includes oil/filter and tire rotation - only.

Walmart with synthetic oil is about $28, tire rotation is about $15, what is the dealer thinking?

Reply to
Leythos

I paid about $90 in CA for the 5,000 and paid 150 in NJ for the 10000 mile service. Camry 4 cyl.

Reply to
EdV

What are you thinking?

Wal-Mart for an oil change?

If seventy bucks is too much, why not just have your oil changed at the dealer?

Or.....do it yourself.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I use to alway do my own oil, but it's cheaper for me to have someone else do it. I always check the drain plug and make sure they actually change the filter, and the oil level too. When I have them rotate the tires I always check the nuts.... Sometimes it's just cheaper to let a someone else do it - I figured the dealer might be cheaper since I bought the vehicle from them.

Reply to
Leythos

I have had all my oil changes and maintence on my 04 Sienna performed at my dealer. Prices are no cheaper anywhere else.

Like you I used to do my own oil changes, but it's not worth the trouble anymore.

Reply to
dbu,.

I buy my tires from Sam's Club. They rotate them free anytime you want. They use a torque wrench on the wheel nuts. I'd recommend them anytime.

My car goes to the Toyota dealer for oil changes.

One of these days, I might take that task on, but for not they do it.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Toyota dealers figure if you were gullible enough to by one of their overpriced cars, you will be just as likely to overpay for service. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess you do not live very close to you local Toyota dealer, he saw you coming miles away. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Moron Mike is at it again.........

Reply to
Jonas Grumby

ask them if they have express lube service and compare the services and price with the 5,000 mile service. Sometimes, they add services like lubricate all hinges, or adding windshield washer fluid which you might not need.

Reply to
EdV

My 'overpriced' '92 Corolla Wagon is still running at 208,000 miles....

How many miles do you have on your car?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Walmart for car service? What are you thinking?

Reply to
Art

Does your state require shops to post their hourly labor rate? If so, what were the hourly rates at each place?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would imagine they do, each time I've been in a dealers maintenance shop they have signs. Having never been in the Toyota maintenance shop before (my first Toyota) I don't have a clue about their rates.

Reply to
Leythos

Knowing that information is the only way to make sense of the price difference, other than to make general statements about Wal Mart's typically shoddy employee training.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Depends on which one to which you are referring. The one with the most mileage, my '71 Pinto that cost $1,985 when new, currently has 299K on the clock. Three of my other old cars have 100k, or more. My 2000 Lincoln LS, that cost me $23,000 LESS than my 1997 Lexus LS when I switched to domestics, that is now owned by a neighbor, has well over 200K on the clock ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

They're thinking that the Toyota brand is worth $35 in value on an oil change.

$70 seems high to me unless they're doing something else that you've overlooked. Get the work done at any reliable, inexpensive and convenient place and keep your receipts.

Our local Toyota dealer seems more reasonable, especially with the coupons they mail to me every couple months. An oil change there (no rotation) plus a $22 air filter and some minor fixes (loose battery terminal, windshield washer nozzles were plugged and/or not hitting the windshield, etc) was $55 after all shop fees, taxes, etc, and took less than an hour at 07:30 (I called ahead the night before). On the occasions I've forgotten my coupon, they give me the coupon price, anyway. It could be that they do this because I actually bought two of my Toyotas at that dealership.

Still, I usually use a local reliable oil-change franchise place because it's much more convenient (it's right on the way to work) and I know the people to be reliable.

Is there another Toyota dealer in your area? Shop around.

Reply to
DH

Mike I would really need to see a picture of the Pinto to believe it exists. How about posting one.

Reply to
Art

He has been talking about that Pinto for at least 2 years....and its mileage hasn't gone up one mile...LOL

He says it is a 'daily' driver....

Right....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I'll volunteer web space, if posting to a free server is a hassle.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)