'94 Camry antenna motor broken

hi,

my antenna doesnt go up and down anymore. the motor noise doesnt even work. so i hear no noise when i turn on-off my radio. is there a way to remove the motorized antenna completely and replace with a plastic/rubber antenna?

Reply to
confused girl

You don't hear any noise? usually, the widget that attaches to the ball breaks off, and you can hear the motor running but no up or down motion.

I am assuming the antenna is stuck in the down position?

You can buy a Generic antenna for Toyota/Honda and install one of those. Not easy, but not too hard, either.

First, though, I would look inside the trunk; pull away the trunk liner where the antenna is mounted and take a good look. Did your golf back knock the connector off? Actually, before that I would consult the Owner's manual and find out which fuse controls the antenna. Usually there is more than one item on a fuse; is anything else not working?

And if you can, get an antenna from and older Toyota; they are a bit longer than the newer antennas and work VERY well, esp for AM.

I was never a fan of those rubber things...I've tried three of them and they don't work very well. Unless you're in an area where the stations you listen to have very strong signals, I'd stick with a regular antenna.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Recently replaced the rubber trim at the base of the stock antenna. Once the old unit is removed, there's just a hole in the fender. Personally, would preserve the original function by replacing the antenna, but standard antennas usually have a universal type mounting bracket so all you would need to do would be to remove the old unit, install the new, and connect the antenna cable.

Reply to
Daniel