94 Camry Not starting out in 1st gear.

That's bummer because the codes can help verify the source of the problem. For instance, if they tell us it's the shift solenoids.

If you look on the sticker under the hood, do you see "OBD" or "OBD- II" certification? That should be near or on the vacuum routing sticker.

Maybe Transtar can provide you with an affiliated shop that will help diagnose the problem at a low cost (or even free). Transtar also sells rebuilt valve bodies and solenoids (not sure A540e series available). So you might want to check with them. An alternative is to pull one from the junkyard.

I wouldn't be surprised if some shops just want to sell you a rebuilt tranny, so do beware.

Reply to
johngdole

If you look on the sticker under the hood, do you see "OBD" or "OBD- II" certification? That should be near or on the vacuum routing sticker.

Maybe Transtar can provide you with an affiliated shop that will help diagnose the problem at a low cost (or even free). Transtar also sells rebuilt valve bodies and solenoids (not sure A540e series available). So you might want to check with them. An alternative is to pull one from the junkyard.

I wouldn't be surprised if some shops just want to sell you a rebuilt tranny, so do beware.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Solenoids are not visible just by dropping the pan. I know I'm being repetitive, but personally I would get the check engine code to help verify the problem is at the transmission before you spend time on it. Would a trip to the dealer be acceptable?

Transmission work can become a mess. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but do consider leaving it to the pros. This is your call. Of course, if you know how to rebuild the good 'ol GM Hydramatic TH350 then I'll keep quiet.

If you feel fine going ahead and are mechanically inclined to do so, then on-vehicle checks you can pretty much do only the valve body and shift solenoids. **That's not to say the true problem isn't somewhere else.**

I'd start with:

  1. ATSG A540-series transmission overhaul manual (about .99 + shipping on eBay) There should be a sticker on the driver-side door or frame about the transmission type. The 94 V6 should have A541E, but check to make sure.

  1. Valve Body Gasket Kit, new strainer and pan gasket (cork-rubber type, NO fiber type) ATF (Dexron III these days).

  1. Clean up the valve body, all valves and respective ports. When you drop a shift valve coated with ATF into it's port, it should fall to the bottom by gravity alone. Pay attention to 1-2 shift valve as it is one of the primary suspects.

  1. Inspect for wear and tear that will allow fluid to leak past shift valves. The A series is quite a dirty transmission.

  2. Test and check the solenoids. Make sure you have new gaskets for these in the gasket kit. If not order them. If they are good, great; if they are bad, then you know part of the problem. These solenoids cost a few bucks, so test well before replacing.

Good luck!

Reply to
johngdole