oxygen senor location

Can someone tell me where the oxygen sensor ( bank 1 sensor 2 ) is on a 97 camry xle v6? Is the replacement easy?

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff Rogers

Don't know where it is but its not hard to change. I read somewhere you should change the pair and not just the one. There is a socket you can get at your local auto parts that fits on your socket wrench. It has a cut out on it to allow the wire to hand out of the way. Just ask the salesperson and they will know it. The sensor is relatively easy (at least it was for me) to break loose.

Your probably asking if its the front or back rather than the actual location. But if not....... each exhaust manifold has a sensor. The first is easy to see - it looks like a sparkplug and easily seen on the front of the engine on the exhaust manifold. The one in the rear you can access from the bottom of the car on the manifold on the back of the engine - its down pretty low. With an extension you can access it - I forget if I had to jack the car.

If you didn't konw - if you buy OEM your talking $200 plus per sensor. You can get the Bosch generic for $65. The only catch is that you have to reuse the electrical connector on the old sensor which means cutting off the old connector and splicing the wires of the new sensor to the old "wire with connector". Its not hard.

You can find postings of people claiming that the generic is identical to the OEM except for the connector. I suspect the companies have some sort of method (e.g., contract agreements/patents) of restricting supplies to consumers so it is difficult or impossible to buy blank connectors......I have found no one who sells the connectors.

Reply to
kiselink

Bank1 is the rear-facing bank, and 'sensor 2' indicates that it is the sensor downstream of the catalytic converter. So you are looking for the sensor that is behind the cat, of which there should be only one. All you really need to replace it is a breaker bar and a o2 sensor socket. Soak down the old socket with a good lube to make sure that it comes easy.

Reply to
qslim

its connector is under the drivers seat and the sensor is easy to get to, its behind the cat. canvertor and it takes a 7/8 open end wrench

Reply to
toyotawiz