90 camry won't start...

I drove the car home this afternoon, parked it. I forgot to pick up something so I went back to the car but it wouldn't start. The engine turned for 1-2 sec (very slowly)(sounded like two slow turns) Then nothing. I turned the key again and got a rapid clicking...

Later... tried it again and it did the same thing... 2 slow turns and then clicking... I'm going to boost it tmrw and I think it will start but I'm not sure what's wrong... The battery read 11.7 volts. The clicking noise is from the starter but this only happens after trying it once(engine turns). Could this be the battery that is just old?...

Thanks for your input...

Reply to
DSPL

your battery is dead a fully charged battery is apx 13v,11.7 is apx 25% charged

Reply to
m Ransley

How long should a battery last (years) on average...

Reply to
DSPL

That voltage is low. Sometimes a battery will give no warning of its impending demise. If that is the original battery you are about due.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Reply to
DSPL

I coulda sworn "DSPL" typ'd:

Heh, heh, heh . . . no such thing as average battery life.

I have several lead-acid batteries in vehicles, some two-wheeled and some four-wheeled. I've tried to always get good batteries for reliability, but I can tell you some last a long time, some don't. There doesn't seem to be a pattern except that if you run them flat regularly they don't.

OK, I guess 4-5 years has been typical . . . .

The shortest was less than two years on a Yuasa in my '72 Honda CB500 motorcycle before it developed an internal short (it was replaced under warranty).

The longest was a Dears Sigh-hard that lasted THIRTEEN YEARS in my BMW K75 motorcycle. Unheard of.

-Don (still amazed at that one)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Ive had 2 new defective batteries last 6 months and many 3-5 years.

Reply to
m Ransley