'95 Camry Four Automatic: Reverse Not Engaging Fully

I haven't looked at the car myself yet, but I sleep days, and will check it this evening. My housemate tells me that when she put the car into Reverse yesterday, it made a clicking noise, and felt like the parking brake was on (it wasn't). She says it was reluctant to move in Reverse. Drive was normal. Any ideas? Preferably by a tech or experienced mechanic?

Reply to
mjc1

My old camry did that once when 10f, I changed the oil and filter and its been fine since Mine had a blockage of dirt and the level went so high it smoked after not moving in reverse, Changing it is the only cheap option.

Reply to
ransley

I drove the car just now and there was no sign of trouble. I'm guessing that she either mistook water in the car and a misfiring engine for a balky transmission, or it was a piece of dirt somewhere in the trans, although we have kept up with fluid changes and flushes.

Reply to
mjc1

A strainer change every 12-15K miles should help. Flushing or drain/ refill isn't going to clean the strainer or the pan for you.

Reply to
johngdole

We have the strainer replaced with drain/refills. I don't think it was the transmission - I think it had water in the gas. I'll maybe never know for sure, though.

Reply to
mjc1

Don't think water in gas will affect the tranny. If the car was trying to MOVE in R, then maybe binding brakes/return spring? Otherwise the engine will just rev with higher RPM if clutch packs/brake bands don't engage.

Reply to
johngdole

What I meant was I think she mistook a hesitating, misfiring engine for a balky transmission. At least I hope so. At any rate, it hasn't done it again.

Reply to
mjc1