95 automatic stuck in Drive, won't start

My daughter's 95 automatic V6 Camry is stuck in Drive. She ran over a curb, then she started having problems. She could not shift the car into reverse. She figured something was seriously wrong, so she drove it back home. I tried to start it but it won't because the transmission thinks it is still in Drive. I can press the shift lock override and then move the shifter, but the display still says the car is in Drive, so it won't start. Should I push this car to my mechanic or is there something I can try?

Thanks, Chuck

Reply to
Leveillee

Check your manual. On some cars there are emergency instructions should the auto shifter intelock screw up. Usually it involves removing the console trim below the shifting and manipulating a cable. I don't know the specifics of your car but it is worth a check of your owners manual.

Reply to
Art

======================================== Have a look at the shift lever on the transaxle. The shift cable moves a small lever, and if she hit the curb in a way that bent the lever in, it may not be free to move.

Reply to
Daniel

if it is still indicating it is in drive, then something is wrong with the shifter cable and/or the neutral switch which is mounted on the transmission where the shift linkage attaches to the manual shift shaft. Hitting the curb may have damaged that somehow by jamming something else against it or jarred it loose maybe. Remove the battery and its tray to have a look at it below.

davemc

Reply to
davemac