95 Camry Wagon - Plug between oil pan & transaxle

I need to remove the oilpan to reseal, but there appears to be a large, rectangular rubber plug wedged between the oilpan and transaxle. What is it? Does it come out and if so, what is the best way to get it out? Should it be reinserted after re-doing the oilpan or can the car live without it? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
CamryMan

Yeah, that has to come out. There is a row of bolts under that sucker. To get to those you have to remove the bracket that goes between the front part of the trans bell housing and up near the front engine mount. It is cast-iron, and should come out with three bolts (I think). Then you'll remove the foam thing and the flex plate cover, and you'll have full access to the oil pan bolts.

Reply to
qslim

Reply to
CamryMan

What function does this foam plug plays in there ? I have the same thing in my 95 LE camry sedan. When I try to pry it off, I have noticed it is sitting on some metal pin sticking out of the engine. It is all black & wet, probably soaked with engine oil...

Reply to
Pszemol

Q, what's happening? Things alright?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah man. Things are good. Wrenchin on F16s these days. You know whats obscene? I actually miss working on Toyotas. Weird. How bout you? Still got your fleet?

Reply to
qslim