snapped drain plug - series motor

I've managed to snap the drain plug (the one above the starter motor) on my

2.25 petrol. It appears to be cast iron. It's in a right mess and has to come out . Whats the best metod of doing this? Thanks, Jon
Reply to
Jon

What's left ? Is it flush with the block, sunk below, or left a lump sticking up ?

Personally, I'd drill it out and retap

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve - Thanks for your answer.

About 310 degrees is flush with the block, the rest is original. One of the internal lugs has snapped off and taken with it part of the back leaving a hole about 4mm across. The lug snapped when I tried to remove it (It was fine before), the rest fractured off when I attached a self adjusting grip - the actual plug hasn't shifted one bit and I suspect that it is glued...

As I can't find anything out about this 1" plug, do I use sealent on it when I finally get to replace it?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

If it's 1" in diameter, it's not a drain plug, it's a core plug. And the manual doesn't even mention taking it out, much less how to put it back. Why did you try to remove it in the first place?

I suspect it is put in with a studlock or a retaining compound, in which case it could be nearly impossible to remove by normal means. And having someone drill it and re-tap may be impossible or cost-prohibitive. (Not many engineering workshops will want to do a drill and tap on a 1" plug in a engine block)

I'd worry far more about how you're going to get it out than how to get the new one in.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well - In my favour I'm more stubborn than it is, and I'm going to remove it! (Positive thoughts only!) I've got some small tools that I can attack it with. I'll report back.... Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

IT'S OUT!

With a little help from Mr. Dremmel and his 3.2mm Carbide cutter.... (Lowest speed setting)

The plug gave no resistance against the cutter - No detectable damage to the thread and it wasn't held in by any gunk. Three equally spaced cuts and I managed to tap out the section with the exposed surface - the other bits followed. Took about 45 mins!

Wahoo!

Reply to
Jon

Thats the spirit. Well done. Hope you haven't nicked the thread, or you are going to have some good fun sealing it....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Old fashioned gasket shellac would probably do the job well - it's all i normally use on core plugs and the like.

Reply to
EMB

It all looks good, but I'll smear a bit of Blue Hylomar around....

Very Chuffed!

Reply to
Jon