95 Camry will not start

I have a 1995 Camry Le which refuses to start. I just installed a new fuel pump because I couldn't hear it whirring when the key is turned on. I checked the connector at the pump and there is power to it.

I don't know what else to look for, the engine is the overhead cam V6. Before the car was towed down here, a guy was trying to diagnose the nostart by swapping the relays (cringe shiver) around in the relay box under the hood.. all of the fuses are fine. There is also no fuel at the fuel line to the injectors.

HELP!

Reply to
Roger Rabbid

Im adding more info to my last post because since yesterday I've found a blown fuse under the dash panel and replaced it. The fuel pump is now priming the system, there is power at all 6 coil packs, but there is no fuel returning from the (I believe to be) return fuel lines that come from the center of the manifold and into a fuel block of some sort. I'm assuming this is the return because the lines are only fasted with hose clamps.

Reply to
Roger Rabbid

Excuse me for stating the obvious, - did you check for a broken timing belt?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Interesting...no fuel in the return lines.

Blown fuse...pump pumping. Perhaps a blockage in the fuel line?

Also, as someone else mentioned, timing belt. Easy way to check: remove the distributor (Wait, does this car have a distributor, or is it entirely electronic?) and see if the rotor turns when someone cranks it.

If it *is* entirely eletronic, remove the oil filler cap and have someone crank it, and see if the valve train rotates.

Reply to
HachiRoku

OK. the car WILL run if starting fluid is used. I installed a new fuel filter and there was no fuel even reaching the filter. I removed the pump yesterday, and it turned out that it was the wrong pump, or it was wired internally wrong at the factory and was pumping in the wrong direction. I swapped the blue and black wires around at the pump connector and the pump went to work as it was supposed to, and now there is fuel in the fuel rail. There's power at the ignition coils, and there is power at the injectors. I thought maybe the cam sensor might be bad, and not sending a signal to the ecm. At least now the car is pumping gas. when I towed the car down here it was terminal.

I really don't believe the timing belt is broken. I will check it next time I'm under the hood.

Also, there's a harness located in the passenger side kick panel with a circuit breaker, a fuse, and a relay. I've replaced the relay, and the circuit breaker does have power to it. The small

10 or 15 amp fuse is dead on both terminals.

I'm not a Toyota mechanic. I'm only using what I know from working on GM's and some of it seems to be applying. Would it be possible to remove the ecm and take it to Toyota to be tested? Also there is power at the OBDII connector, which I believe is a good sign that the ECM is getting power.

a couple of other things... The engine is equipped with 6 seperate coils for the ignition and does not have a distributor. it's the FZE aluminum overhead cam v6... just for those of you who are pointing out the distributor..

thanks

Reply to
Roger Rabbid

I've done that already. The cover is constructed in such a way that you can't see down into the galley underneath. I thought about just removing it yesterday..

Reply to
Roger Rabbid