'96 camry, noisy in reverse

From a parked position, my '96 Camry (184,000 miles) makes a vibrating noise when in reverse. Goes away in neutral, and usually doesn't show up in D (but it does sometimes).

Mechanic at a party said it could be the tie rods. I rotated the tires, and they seem secure.

Thought it was clattering valves, but shows up even when engine is warm.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Clarifying: noisy in Reverse with brakes applied.

Reply to
Michael

I think I've isolated it... seems related to power steering somehow. If I move the wheel while stopped, sometimes the noise gets louder, and sometimes it gets quieter.

Maybe it's time to change that PS belt...

Michael

Reply to
Michael