97 Camry - engine problem, bad gasoline?

I bought this Camry about 2 weeks ago, and while I was driving the car I had the following problem a couple of times: I push on the gas pedal but the car does not accelerate. I tried to push on the brake, that didn't help, then after about 10-30 seconds the car does accelerate when I push on gas. When I got the car, the Check Engine light was on. I looked at the codes and it was something like: "Cylinder 2 misfired." I cleared the codes, the Check Engine light was gone for about a week, then it came back on, and now it's gone again (disappeared by itself). When I was buying the car, they told me that the light ws on because of the oxygen sensor (even though they had replaced it once or twice).

BTW, could this problem be caused by bad gasoline? I live in Iowa and we have a lot of 87 made with Ethanol - that's what I put in last time...

Thanks.

Reply to
Pasha

how many miles on the car?

throttle valve might need cleaning, that's just my guess...

head to Autozone for a free OBD-II analysis to figure out the check engine light...

fuel filter might need to be replaced...

Reply to
onehappymadman

replace the plugs wires, distributor, rotor, air fitler, pcv valve, and fuel filter.

Reply to
justinm930

So you buy a 9.5 yr old car and don`t have a tune up, and of course you had no mechanic inspect it Pre purchase. So what do you expect, a working car! It could be many things and likely is. A tune up is where you obviously start. Your cutting out is very likely the ignition coil being dirty especialy if it goes away in 1 hr. But you really need a complete tune and complete fluid change and mechanic go over. Guessing wont get you anywhere.

Reply to
m Ransley