Camry glass break detector

I followed the instructions in the owners manual exactly to test the glass break detector and the alarm didn't sound.

I locked the doors and waited for 30 seconds until the alarm set indicator on the dash started flashing, then I tapped on the drivers door with the key as indicated in the instructions and the alarm did not function using this test. If I tap any harder I'm afraid I'll break the glass.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
WoodBee

Try closing the hood. That noise sets it off on mine.

Reply to
Daniel

If you know the location of the glass breakage sensor, you can rattle a set of keys near it to test and see if it works. Most glass breakage sensors can't tell the difference. Seems the signature they are looking for is very similar. Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

The sensor's sensitivity may be set wrong by the tech. If what others said don't work, then you may need to check the sensitivity.

If you have the OEM alarm, it's made by Fujitsu-Ten. They have a fax back service that will fax you the exact installation and configuration instructions (much more than the owners manual that tells you how to test the sensor). Walfgang posted this number a while back.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Wolfgang - view profile Date: Thurs, Apr 24 2003 4:16 pm

Try the Fujitsu Ten VIP FAX back service 310 327-9905

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reply to
johngdole

I have the same problem. Pic of the sensor

the alarm, that LED on the shock sensor in the pic above doesnot activate.

How do u know if it is made by Fujitsu-Ten And how do i get the fax back?

Pics of my camry

skewe

By the looks of the sensor in the picture, yours is NOT a Toyota alarm (one made by Fujitsu-Ten).

Your subject line says "glass break detector". But the picture shows a motion sensor. Therefore the fax-back number does not apply to the model. However, it's good to learn a few things about the Fujitsu-Ten models, such as the how to install one in detail.

Call the fax back number in Wolfgang's email and follow the directions. You should be able to get a catalog faxed to you, and then you can select the alarm model of interest. It's been a while since I tried it. Hope it still works.

skewe wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I went back to the dealer and one of the service guys demonstrated that the glass break detector was functioning.

The owners manual indicated "with the tip of the key, tap the center of the drivers door window. Tap the glass with light to moderate force."

Well he tapped the glass pretty hard with some kind of heavy object and "tapped" it much harder than I would have attempted.

2007 Camry XLE

Reply to
WoodBee

Isn't the Glass break detector the same as the motion sensor????

skewe

No, the glass break detector, called GBS, "listens" to sounds of certain frequencies -- ones that most resemble glass breakage.

Motion sensor used to be mercury loaded, but now probably just spring loaded. If the car shakes past a threshold then the alarm goes off (like in a parking structure).

WoodBee's gadget may be a GBS, but it doesn't look like the one from Fujitsu-Ten. Also, the Fujitsu-Ten OEM one has a part number like

08585-xxxxx.
Reply to
johngdole