97 toyota avalon timing belt

I changed the timing belt and when I start the car it back fires sometimes and when I do get it to run at 2500rpms it boags out .at idle it run good. its hard
to start.i get a obd reading of po300.its a noninterference car but for any reason I was off a tooth or so on the timing belt would it do what I described.