98 camry lxe air conditioner smells bad help!!!

when we turn on the air conditioner, it smells really bad. i had this problem with another car and just put lysol into the air ducts of the car, but im not sure where the air ducts for the camry are. can anyone help? thanks alot

Reply to
temp

Most likely the evaporator drain plug might be plugged and causing the water to get full of bacteria and thus the smell.

Lysol or some Air Conditioner odor cleaner works well and is available at most dealer part counters.

I believe the air ducts are at the bottom of the front windshield. If there are any screws, open the housing, and remove any leaves and crap that may be there, and spray that area well and then close everything up.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you then open the car windows and put the A/C on full with the fan on high for about 20 min to remove all the odor and smell from the cleaners. It can be pretty nauseous to smell that in a closed vehicle.

Reply to
Car Guy

Im not sure what is used to clean ducts but you may have a mold problem and will need a product that contains bleach if it is mold. Only bleach , kills mold , Im sure other people will help here

Reply to
mark Ransley

Check the drain hose and make sure it is clear before you use a bleach etc or the problem will just return.

Reply to
John

Read this thread ENTIRELY:

03 Camry --- Air smells bad