98 Camry Rear Speakers -- how do you take them off

Hi,
The previous owner had damaged one of the rear speakers so I'm thinking of replacing it myself. But the hitch is try as I did I
simply couldn't figure out how to take the grill that covers it off. I tried to gently pry the thing up but it simply wouldn't give and I don't want to damage the thing.
It is probably a grill that locks in place when pushed down, but I would rather ask those who may have done it. Any tips on how to remove it? And further, do the same size speakers with matching resistance work fine or do I need to buy the speakers from the dealer?
TIA

You have to remove the rear deck; you take the seatbacks out first, then slide it forward a bit to release. Can't go into more detail as it's some years since I did it.
You can use any 6X9 speaker, but you'll be happier if the resistance and sensitivity are similar to the originals.
Ideally, you should replace all the speakers for smoothest sound, as it's impossible to buy speakers as bad as the factory originals. I replace all mine with high-end JBL's and the improvement was incredible - even with the stock head unit and amp.
On Sun, 23 May 2004 07:48:47 -0400, Scott Schuckert

Many thanks to all who provided input on this question and I was able to remove the speakers after carefully removing the rear deck and the brake light. Unfortunately, I also found that the stock speakers are screwed down with 3 screws whereas new speakers come with 4 screws, the holes do not align with the existing 3 holes. This is the question I'm struggling with right now. But, this is a start though.

The OEM speakers stink. I replaced all the speakers as soon as I bought my 98 Camry, but had an car audio shop do it. Any decent speaker the same size and with then same impedance should work fine.

Since replacing speakers requires taking out door panels and the rear deck, I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge because I don't want to see any scratches, or signs of a sloppy job here. Then again, after removing the rear speakers I realize I'm not quite up to the task. I can do it, but I'd much rather let someone with some experience handle it instead.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's really not that difficult. Yes, you will have to make new holes. If you can't get your hands on a right-angle drill to make the holes from the top of the deck, you can make a template of the hole pattern of the new speakers and make the holes from inside the trunk. You may have to file the holes a bit to make them fit perfectly, but no one can ever see oblong holes when the speaker is resting on top of them.
On Tue, 25 May 2004 16:22:48 -0400, "badgolferman"

I was going to do it myself but when I bought the speakers they said installation was free and I took them up on this offer and, now, I'm glad I did. They (Circuit) city did a terrific job. Besides, I don't think I'd have saved much beyond the satisfaction of doing it.
On Tue, 25 May 2004 23:06:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I spoke too soon! They did two things wrong - a) installed one speaker (rear) with the built-in tweeter facing away. b) They left 4 3-inch screws jutting into my trunk. It is a good thing I checked or I'd one day have had a 3-inch screw in my head while try to pack my trunk. Besides, I don't

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://carstereohelp.com/strtoyota.htm
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in message

If the 98 is anything like the 97, you will have to remove the entire rear shelf to get to the screws that hold the speaker in place. From inside the trunk, release and push up the clips that hold the center brake light housing, remove the center brake light housing, also release and push up the clips that hold the shelf down. Hope this helps JerryR