98 LE: The BRAKE indicator goes on and off

Camry 98 LE. The orange BRAKE indicator on the dashboard goes on and off seemingly at random. The parking brake is not engaged, of course. The brake fluid is full. The brakes have been recently serviced. What could be causing this and how to fix it?

Reply to
Alex Ivlev

Probably you have to add a little brake fluid. The level-sensor is rather sensitive.

Reply to
Jan Siepelstad

I have a 94 Camry LE. The instruction book says that the BRAKE indicator is for the hand brake. It keeps coming on, though the hand brake has nothing to do with it. It requires a *lot* of travel to grab hold of anything.

I think they want you to buy a 2004 Camry. :-)

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger4336

Yea, just the same, car (98 UK GX) was serviced 2 days ago by Toyota Main dealer. Today light comes on with hand brake. Does not go off! Look closely it goes slightly dimmer when releasing HB.

Manual states if it stays on, then check fluid. Reservoir is full. Uh! I had my timing belt done at service, so they may have damages the sensor (on UK models the Reservoir is near that part of engine. Is the reservoir meant to be wired up from the top, If so mine is not.

I'm taking it back to the dealer since the service was £350 Stirling, and the Hand brake is not as efficient as prior to service.

Will let you know outcome, it may help!

Reply to
BwanaMzee

Reply to
Joshua Smeltser

Try disconnecting the electrical connector on the side of the master cylinder under the brake fluid reservoir. Clean any grease and dirt, and reattach making sure it clicks securely into place. Could be something else, but I'd look there first.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I think that is excellent advice, since I am convinced it a sensoring fault. The Topping op of the resevoir (Although full) also sounds very plausible too.

If I fix mine then i'm letting the dealer off the hook for poor service. If I let him fumble further, he may Make something up which will cost more! Bit of a catch 22!

Dennis

Reply to
BwanaMzee

Maybe I should worry. I *never* use the hand brake, because I live in Florida.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger4336

had

UK

the

Roger, See my comments on this about 10 up in list

johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin G3LIV.