99 camry - power door lock problem - actuator replacement

I've 99 Toyota Camry. Sometimes the driver's side automatic door lock doesn't lock properly. So I started doing manually whenever it doesn't lock automatically. When I researched online seems like it may be an actuator issue. When I enquired couple of dealers in the area, their quote is $335 approx for parts and labor. I'm looking for a cheap and best place to get it repaired.

My questions are - - Do I have to go only to the dealer for this or any auto mechanic can handle this? - Will there be any mechanics who are specialized in the automatic door lock area who can do it for cheaper? - If I do not want to spend that much, what are my options? Can I disable the automatic locking system, how much it may cost? - Is it a good idea to disable it? (My worry is that if the same problem happens to other doors too in future, it may not be worth to spend that much on a 8 year old car) - Does the dealer usually match the part prices with discount auto parts shop like NAPA etc?

I live in Gaithersburg, MD area.. Thanks a lot in advance for your input.

Thanks, Ravi

Reply to
ravipb

Autozone's free online guide has a diagram for the 96. It should give you an idea of the components. Haynes manual in the local parts stores should have detailed instructions on removing the trim.

You should verify that the problem is with the solenoid (actually a motor assembly) and not with the wiring, because you don't want to replace the solenoid assembly and then find the same problem because there is a crack in the wires where they enter the door (also a common problem). But an intermittent problem is hard to diagnose.

Assume it's the solenoid assembly, it should be a couple of hours max and I guess around $60 for parts. So expect to pay about 50% less at independents. If you have mechanically inclined friends willing to help might work too.

Less common parts like this only at the dealer. Check for online dealer prices, usually lower.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole