A scary brake incident yesterday in rain.

I drive a first-hand, year 2000 Camry CE. My car has always performed well, but yesterday I had a scary experience that I've never had before.

It was raining modestly. I was approaching a red light and there was a car ahead of me. I braked but it was like the brake wasn't there at all. The car just moved ahead. For a split of a second, I thought I was pressing the accelerator, then I realized I wasn't. The car moves ahead, I got scared. Then I let go of the brake since it wasn't working. I braked again and the car stopped.

From the feel that I got, it wasn't the tire that skid in the rain. It was more like something inside the brake system didn't work and lost the ability to brake. The brake was replaced with a new one by the dealer a year ago. Any expert know what happened? Should I have my car checked? This time I was able to brake it in time to avoid a hit. Next time I might not.

Reply to
lazy smurf

I have the same model car. No antiloc is a small price to pay for the model difference to an LE.................my next one will be LE model again.

The brakes on my camry are kinda prone to the same issue. Anytime I drive through a puddle (not a huge one mind you) it seems like the brakes arent nearly like they should be. Like I had drum brakes full of water or something. Just avoid the puddles, leave yourself plenty of room.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

Reply to
MUADIB®

possibly a bad master cilinder

Reply to
m Ransley

It may just be that the brakes were soaked with rain water.

Have you had trouble since? Do you notice anything different with the brake pedal?

Reply to
Hopkins

Does it have anti lock brakes?

Reply to
Art

Same thing happens to me when I have been driving for an extended period in heavy rain with lots of splashing around. It has been suggested to me to change my brake pads.

I am trying to budget and do the discs at the sametime. Also going to flush out my old hydraulic fluid. Summer Project..

Reply to
amerikim

Ya know, I've had so many cars I can't remember which one did this...I think it was the 240SX. If the brakes got wet, it was like there wasn't any. If it was raining, every once in a while I'd ride the brakes just to keep them dry...

Reply to
hachiroku

I?ve experience a problem like that on my 95 v6 camry driving in the rain but i?m pretty sure it was rain water in the brakes. Bad thing about my experinces was i lost control of car and i almost slammed into a Semi ;-).

Reply to
afbase

If the pedal felt normal (not spongey or going to the floor) then its unlikely to be anything but a lot of water acting as an aqua-plane medium between the pads and their respective disks,..if it has ABS (antilock) then the ABS modulater should feed back to your pedal a pulsing effect,..I say should as I've only driven one car with ABS (a GMH Holden) and it maynot have been representative of all ABS systems.

My understanding of ABS is that the sensors see a locked wheel/s,..they send a signal to the ABS controller which then rapidly removes and re-instates cyclically, brake pressure, until the wheel stops locking.....

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

There's an old trick we used to do with our dirt bikes; since we rode through streams, in the rain, along the 'beach', etc we used to take the brake shoes out and 'groove' them with a saw or a file. That way the water would dissipate and the brakes would function.

Wonder how much asbestos I inhaled...

And I DON'T think I would advise this with semi-met pads! You could go for slotted rotors...

Reply to
hachiroku

I drive a first-hand, year 2000 Camry CE. My car has always performed well, but yesterday I had a scary experience that I've never had before. CUT ________

As mentioned by others, probably just a lot of water between the pads and rotor. Supposedly disc brakes aren't prone to this because the water is supposed to spin off the rotor, or so I hear, but, of course, anything is possible.

Also as mentioned already, common practice in the "old days" used to be to pump your brakes a couple of times to "dry them out" when driving in what was considered to be a lot of water, as with the old systems, losing brakes temporarily was a fairly standard thing.

As always though, wouldn't hurt to have them inspected. Many places do it for free nowadays.

Reply to
timbirr

I wish I had my car inspected right away after the first incident. But things kept me busy. Today it rained again. The situation is exactly the same as the first time. But I didn't got a second chance to be lucky. My car didn't brake at all. It went ahead and rammed into the car ahead of me. Both cars were towed.

I don't know what I want to ask now. I feel it can impact a lot of things for me. Luckily I and the two persons in the other car were not hurt so far as I know. Any advice is welcome.

Reply to
smurf