AC button Update - FIXED

Posted a week or so ago about the AC "on-off" button sticking in the on position in a 98 camry.

Someone suggested spraying some silicone lubricant into the button.

My only thought was how to get the lubricant into the needed spot without taking apart everything.

Came up with an idea. I have a farm and have a few different size hypo needles to "doctor" the stock. Have a couple of 25-ga needles for kittens and puppies.

Sprayed a small amount of electrical contact cleaner into a paper Dixie cup and drew it up with the hypo. The needle was small enough to fit between the AC button itself and the outer plastic frame.

Injected a small amount of cleaner in six locations all around the button, waited a few minutes and repeated.

Then waited a few more minutes, repeated the injection, only this time with silicone lube.

Pushed the button a few times and then, all of a sudden it started to work properly. That was Saturday. Still works fine.....

Reply to
timbirr

Good news! Thanks for the report.

Reply to
mack

No, No, silicone is bad for contacts and plastics. The best stuff is DeoxIT,

They even have a needle applicator which would be perfect.
Mike

Reply to
shaq

perfect.http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f>

Touting a product that you obviously have some sort of financial interest in is one thing....spreading misinformation about silicone is another.

Silicone is widely used in electronic applications and is widely used to lubricate plastic gears.

Maybe that stuff you are hyping -- $18 for just about two tablespoons worth -- is worth it to some people. But my 20-cent hypo and the silicone priced at $8 a can for 14 oz. works for me.

Reply to
timbirr

perfect.http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f>

My friend worked at HP and they do NOT allow silicone anywhere near electrical connections. Sorry, no stock in the company, just having been using for a decade. Mike.

Reply to
shaqtopz

perfect.http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f>

Silcone is dielectric....so not something I would want to cover a contact with, but using in close quarters is no problem as far as I am concerned.

My big question is why every post you have made in the past several, several, several, dozen touts the benefits of your outrageously priced magic elixir....

Reply to
timbirr

perfect.http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f>

Just an added two cents.....and I am being much more kind than most folks here.....I usually find that if it looks like a skunk, smells like a skunk and tastes like a skunk, it is probably a skunk.

I think you are a bit more "creative" than most shills on Usenet, but regardless, all your posts only do one thing - tout the benefits of a very overpriced "magic formula." I am sure it works. But I think most people could use any one of another solution and save about 95 percent over the cost of your solution, as I did.

If someone has money to burn, wants to wait to mail-order the stuff, etc. Fine. If they want to save 95 cents on the dollar and get a quick solution locally....well, their choice.

Reply to
timbirr

perfect.http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f>>

I worked for HP in the 1980's. It is true that they did not allow silicone in some of their factories. As I recall it had to do with contamination of the wave solder process and nothing to do with switch contacts. It is an excellent lubricant, so good it messed up the wave solder machines.

Reply to
Ray