1997 Camry not wanting to start all of time

I have a 1997 Camry LE and it is now getting harder to start. I have to fight with it for about 5 minutes before it will turn over. this happens almost daily now even if I leave the car for five minutes. Talked with one of brothers and he says it might be the starter or the ignation switch going out. Could he be right? if it is the starter are they hard to change out? is the igination switch hard to replace? I am limited in my knowledge of this kind of stuff but would be willing to do the work my self if it was fairly easy or had detailed instructions on how to do this kind of work. Please help.

Reply to
KNIGHT VIPER

Is the symptom that there is no activity when you turn the key to start, but when it works it works well? In this case, it's often the contact blocks in the starter that need replacing. A shop will try to sell you a whole starter plus installation, but you can try getting them to just replace the contacts, which is much cheaper than the whole starter. Toyota makes (or at least used to make) a kit for this purpose. A Toyota dealer will probably be familiar with this repair and may save you time on the clock - you could pull the starter yourself and take it in to be serviced.

Reply to
Nobody Important