Problems with all four wheels on 1999 Toyota Camry

Folks,

This is the first time I have posted to this newsgroup. Sorry my post is so long but it has been an ongoing saga.

My 1999 Toyota Camry has 80,200 km. I have already replaced all four tires (supposedly cracked because they sit in the sun). After replacing tires they constantly leak. Every two weeks they needed topped up. The dealership said hey it was because there are aluminium rims on it. What is the solution as I have had them cleaned at least three times and resealed. Also, the brakes have been replaced on the front two years ago and already the pads were cracked and had to be done again ( I put on about 8000 Km/yr driving around town). I am a mature, careful driver and am certainly not driving the car hard. Do you suppose the pads were faulty or that this is related to problems with the wheels. How would I know if this is a problem common to this model? This work was done supposedly to reduce the squeal in the brakes however three days later the squeal returned.

Has anyone out there encountered similar problems? Any suggestions on what might be the root cause? The dealership has no idea what the problem is and seems quite content to make as much money as possible from it.

Thanks,

Jonathon

Reply to
Jonathon Stewart

Dear Jonathon

I have steel rims and Yokohama tires and have pump air every two weeks. My previous tires were Goodyear. I think that depends on tires not rims. At the begin that was quite disappointment but that I just get used to.

Good luck

so

tires

dealership

solution

the

what

and

Reply to
VS

[...]

I had a similar problem with aluminum wheels on a Maxima. I got some product at Canadian Tire to seal slow leaks -- it worked great. Costs about $6 a bottle/wheel. You take the valve out of the tire, pour the fluid in, replace the valve, add air and drive 5 miles and you're all set. Never had another slow leak on that tire/rim in over 3 years.

Reply to
Father Guido

Hi,

probably leaking through valve stem - you using metal caps? if not get some and see if there is any difference. They shouldn't leak air, aluminium steel, whatever.

Most brake pads will squeal a bit these days - steel fibres and not asbestos.

Sounds more like they have been fitted incorrectly or the wrong pads have been used.

rgds

Peter

weeks.

At

is

pads

driving

Peter

You had the tires replaced, what brand. But who replaced them did not clean the rim bead right. Alloy wheels corode and need carefull attention to cleaning the mounting area . Go back to who did the work, it sounds like a bad install. Michelins were tested to leak the least. in consumer reports. I have Michelin and have Never had to add air. A good tire man will stand behind his job and find the leak

Reply to
m Ransley