are these tires safe to use?

Four years ago I lived in Vermont and bought a v. good set of snow tires and rims for my car - was alternating seasonally between those and the set I bought the car with. I moved to Maryland the next year, and they've been sitting in my basement since then. Now, with an icy winter, I'm thinking of putting them back on. Is it safe to use a set of tires that's been sitting unused for that length of time?

Many thanks!

sally

Reply to
ro222000

Visually inspect the tires for cracking, especially on the sidewall. If they look OK, then I would not worry about it.

Reply to
Mark A

Also, if the tires are manufactured within 6 years you should be fine. Tire manufacturers have been recommending in recent years of replacing tires older than 6 years. They may look fiine, but the rubber aged and can fail suddenly.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

A lot of the tire damage is from sunlight. Since these have been in the basement much of the time they should be ok. Ozone and sunlight kills the rubber.

Reply to
Art