ask help for brake problem

hi, there, my 95 camary has a problem now:

it is hard to stop it on red light, even I push the brake down, ( at first it stops, but after a while it slide forward, I have to push down further, what is the problem? Thanks

Reply to
fl

What percentage of your brake linings remain on the front pads and rear shoes? Below minimum? Have you heard any scraping or screeching noises when you press the brake pedal?

If so, it's time for a brake job.

Is the brake fluid level proper?

Does the brake warning warning light come on when you press the brake?

Does the brake pedal bottom out on the floor or remain at a reasonable height when you press it?

If so, it might be insufficient brake fluid or a problem with the master cylinder.

How much force do you need to apply to the brake pedal? Is it much higher than it had been in the past?

If so, the brake power booster might be at fault.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Air in the system. Get a brake shop to look at it soon. It could be almost anywhere -- caliper, master cylinder, etc. The shop will have to locate the leak, replace the seal or rebuild the caliper, and bleed the air out of the brake lines. Just bleeding won't cure the problem for very long.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

If the brake pedal sinks when you sit awhile at a red light, good chance it's your master cyl.

Reply to
JerryR