Avalon question

I'm looking to purchase a used Avalon in the 2000-2004 range and I have looked at several. Yesterday I looked at a 2004 that had a bit of a strange "thing". When I grabbed the top of each rear wheel and shook the wheel in and out I could feel a very small bit of play. The seller played dumb and said he couldn't feel it. The car has 60,000 miles. Later in the day I repeated the same thing with 2 other Avalons and did not feel any play at all. Other than something obvious like loose wheel nuts does anybody know what might be causing this. Thanks for your help. Greg

Reply to
gmcbean

BigJim

I would try to get a 2002 or later.

Reply to
Art

The only person playing dumb or that is dunb is you , Take it to a Qualified Mechanic,, wheel play would be the last on my list of what constitutes a good car. #1 would be oil changes and compression . but YOU go and kick your tires, someday you will learn what is Really important,........... its fluids and sludge...

Reply to
ransley

The pre-2007 Avalons were just bloated Camrys (based on the Camry chassis). They were known clunkers like water leaks into the trunk. The 2007+ Avalons are based on the Lexus GS chassis. But these still have much higher problem counts than the GS counterpart. Toyota must be training new workers on the Avalon. Some Googling will show both generations are clunkers compared to their counterparts (Camry or Lexus GS).

As far as Lexus go I wouldn't recommend anything other than the entry level ES (a Camry clone). Lexus has little technological content, but for nothing other than the legacy quality control that's missing in today's Toyota and for the well-dolled-up interior. Because if I had to pay more I'll be able to afford a BMW. (I owe, I owe, so in a Camry I go!)

So what's the asking price? I hope the sellers aren't charging an arm and a leg for the clunkers. ;)

Reply to
johngdole

Sorry, but it sounds to me as if you've never driven or owned an Avalon. They're nothing like the Camry whatsoever. I have no idea why you have a hardon for Avalons. Try driving one .....(I have a 2003 that, like Charlton Heston with his gun, you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands). If my dear wife ever divorced me, I'd give her all the furniture and reside in the Avalon, which I'd be sure to keep for myself.

As for Lexus, I don't care, because my Avalon already has a Lexus transmission. To me, Lexus cars are simply tarted up Toyotas which the dealers will make nice with you and make you feel special. BFD. That's not worth Ten Large extra in my opinion.

Reply to
mack