Brake Light on Camry always on

I have a 1998 Toyota Camry V6.

For the past week and a half my brake light on the dash has been on. It normally goes on when I engage the emerganecy brake, but now when I disengage the brake the light stays on.

Sometimes the light will go out while riding on the road, and then come back on for no reason. It's on more than it is off.

With my limited knowledge of these types of things I thought maybe there was a sensor on the brake fluid, but the fluid level is fine. I can't imagine, or have never heard of a sensor anywhere else that might make the light go on and stay on.

I do have a lot of brake dust on the left front, probably a hung caliper, they seem to love me.

Anyone have any idea? Is it just the emergency brake sensor acting funny?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
smk17

Perhaps your anti-lock system is acting up. You should have it looked at.

Reply to
badgolferman

I am pretty sure on my CAMRY 4 Cyl. Its just a simple switch that operated that light. When handbrake is released the switch springs OFF. Maybe its just sticking in the ON position. Maybe springs OFF if bumpy road. Can you look under the centre consul. I think it should be around there.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

Just add a bit of brake fluid, even though the level looks O.K. It's a simple solution and works every time......

Reply to
MJS

Brakes are worn, add fluid and check thickness of pads.

Reply to
tj