Are there Alternate Brake Pads & Rotors for LS 430?

As an alternate question to my question below - my 06 LS 430 Ultra is said by the dealer to need new brakes and rotors at 35,000 miles. These brakes have been noisy and grabby when cold as in backing out of the garage in the morning; they initialy would vibrate the car when applied at road speed; they are very expensive, about double the cost of a German brand luxury car. The dealer has repeatedly told me that the noise and vibration are standard for the brand. In view of these factors, I have decided to try to find an alternative to the dealership for service. In Greenville, SC, this is likely to be some chain like Pep Boys, so I wonder what brands of brake parts are equal to or better than the OEM equipment. Has anyone had experience with their Lexus and different brakes?

Reply to
mcbrue

Might I suggest using

if you plan to wrench the car yourself.I have even bought from them and had them shipped to the UK.We can't get Akebonos in the UK as the brand isn't 'E' marked for Europe so it is illegal to sell them, I imported them for my old Celica All-Trac and things were fabulous. I found along with Brembo discs the pad life, brake performance and brake dust situation was much improved. The problem with brakes wearing out in such a short time is down to the removal of Asbestos from brake pads. Because the pads are now harder to avoid too quick wear and overheating, the discs have tended to be softer to help increase grip. So you find while pad life isn't much less than before, you are replacing disc with every second set of pads or so instead of maybe twice in the life of the vehicle.

Cast iron discs and ceramic pads can help, but they still wear faster than the old discs did with old Asbestos pads.

Reply to
Elder

I agree, take it to another Lexus and a Toyota dealership, get second and third opinions.

Reply to
Elder

Yes.

Mine work fine. 2008 LS 600hL (no need to emphasize the "Ultra" part like you always do)

Reply to
GIga