Burning smell = raybestos pg plus rotors + akebono ceramic brakes

Hi there, I have recently purchased new raybestos pg plus rotors + akebono ceramic brakes and at the end of a drive, I have experienced a fairly strong burning smell. Can smell it just standing at the front of the car.

I have driven the car about 250-500 miles since they were installed two weeks ago.

On a side note, I have recently purchased a set of four wheels - dirty steelies - that were mounted yesterday. However, the brake smell was definitely evident on my alloys before my new wheels + tires.

My question is - is this smell normal? I believe my mechanic told me they would smell while the brakes + rotors got broken in. Would it be safe to drive 500 miles, from Southern California to Northern California? There are a couple steep 1/2 hr to 1 hr grades during the journey, along Highway 5 Grapevine and 152.

Thanks for any input you can provide!!

Reply to
runxctry

Drive for a while and feel the wheels and reach around to fell the brake parts. Hot? I had a stuck emergency brake cable once that kept the brakes on, creating lots of heat and the telltale smell.

Reply to
Stubby

=================== Pads should be conditioned after the first few stops. See if the mechanic cleaned and lubricated the sliding pins on the calipers or if a flex line could be holding pressure internally. A sticking caliper or collapsed brake line could cause the brakes to be applied continuously and in that event it is not a good idea to go on a long trip where the brakes can lock up completely. I would try driving some distance in an uncongested area where you do not have to use the brakes and then touch the rotor disk or drum at each wheel. If you don't have alloys, may not be able to reach through

- not sure, but if one or more braking surfaces are hot without your having applied the brakes, you've isolated the problem area and need to correct it before your trip.

Reply to
Daniel

The brakes are not supposed to have a burning smell. It may be a sign that the calipers/pads are sticking and overheating or the rotors weren't cleaned off properly. the rotors came with a heavy oil protective coating that doesn't wash off easily.

I've installed Akebono ProAct Ceramic pads (used on higher end Toyotas/Lexus and excellent pads BTW) on a variety of rotor makes, including the cheaper Raybestos Raymold noise dampening rotors ($17 each!). PG+ Vehicle Specific Metallurgy rotors are even better. No noise or smell from the start, excellent bite and easy to modulate like Raybestos QuietStop on Raybestos Raymold rotors but not as dirty.

The mechanic needs to really spray the rotors with brake parts cleaner (plus, as suggested, properly clean and lube all caliper moving parts). The common advice of hot water and soap (and paper towels) to get rid of possible metal shavings and the protective heavy oil coating didn't work too well for me.

runxctry wrote:

Reply to
johngdole