1990 V-6 Camry Strut Replacement options

Can the strut cartridge be replaced on the front and rear struts or do you have to replace entire assy? Struts are original with some 110K mi. on them. Any other items to inspect/replace? What's recommended? What brand is recommended? Just need normal ride comfort. Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
jjjsan

Look at top of struct where the shinry rod exits --- just below that do you see threads on what would be an insert? If so then your strut has a replaceable cartridge. My '93 Camry (Japan made) had insert but I was unable to find new ones for sale. I replaced the entire cartridge ((~$80 each). I used the Monroe sensormatic gas shocks which were better than OEM but not a sport shock. THey had a lifetime warranty. Also had to replace the costly dust boots which also acted as a cushioning seat.

Reply to
Wolfgang

ok, thanks for the hint, I'll have to check my strut. Is there any advantage to replacing entire strut assy vs. just strut cart? Looks like there is KYB, Monroe, Gabrial brands for struts. Any recommendation of brand or dislikes. Any recommendation of discounted sources online or mail order? Strut mounts, what part wears and when to replace them?? Jim

Reply to
jjjsan

I just replaced struts/gas shocks and mounts on my '93 V6 XLE. They put Monroe part #71955-71958 (4 shocks) When I went to monroe's website, it doesnt differentiate between 4 or 6 cylinders. Any ideas if they should have?

Reply to
dutch555