Camera boots

I own a 95 Camay with 90,000 Miles. I had to replace the boot covers on the front axle drive shaft. This was very expensive. It there a routine maintenance procedure that could be performed that would keep the boots from cracking?

Reply to
rob

In news:NdLRb.60$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, rob being of bellicose mind posted:

Well ... yes there is. But it's not very practical. Simply do not drive the car.

Reply to
Philip®

I have a 1997 Camry that requires boots about ever 40,000 miles. I have owned many Hondas with over 100,000 miles and never had to put boots on them. I don't know what the difference in materials are but it seems like Toyota has a good way to keep their mechanics employed.

Reply to
Greg B

I had a 97 Camry with over 95k miles and never had to change them. They looked perfect even though I drove it hard. Do you leave the car parked with the wheels all the way to one side or the other?

Reply to
Rex

Haven't tried it, but some have suggested that silicone spray can extend their life.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Old Brown (90') has 240,000 miles and still the original boots. Man I wish I could buy my kids boots that lasted that long!!

Reply to
kevin

In news:71RRb.2377$tP1.2358@fed1read07, Greg B being of bellicose mind posted:

I find that difficult to believe. You MUST be subjecting the car to some brutal roads or weather conditions that would tear up CV boots at the rate you claim.

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Daniel M. Dreifus being of bellicose mind posted:

Keep that silicone SHIT as far away from those CV boots as possible!

Reply to
Philip®

May I ask why? The mechanics at the local Toyota dealer use silicone grease as a preventative measure to reduce squeaks at the sway bar bushings. Where is the incompatibility between silicone and the neoprene or whatever the axle boots are made of?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

You drive that camry thru the desert or something? The later model camry like my 97 have pretty good boots on them mine lasted 90,000 miles..on my second set at 173,000 miles. They are starting to crack a little so at 180,000 I will have them done again. Use only factory boots, not cheap aftermarket boots.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Nope, just city and highway miles. The heat in Las Vegas can get extreme but it's not like I race it or abuse it in any other way. The dealer suggested that was pretty normal so I just figured he was right. From this discussion I'm learning he may be feeding me a line.

Reply to
Greg B

In news:LVSXb.4203$hE.941@fed1read07, Greg B being of bellicose mind posted:

Knowing Las Vegas year round myself, the heat IS intense on those rubber CV boots operating less than a foot off 160 degree asphalt. Your conditions as far as rubber is concerned is "brutal."

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to