Questions on CV Joints/Boots

Hello,

With the previous three new cars I've owned, all front-wheel drive, I drove them well past 100K mi. with each of them. But with all of them, I've had to replace the CV joints for the same reason: the boots dry out and crack, the grease comes out, and the dirt gets in.

Now, with my relatively new car, I wish to be able to avoid or prevent that from happening again, so I did some research on CV joint maintenance, and everything I've read talked about what to do when the boots crack. Nothing about how to prolong their life or prevent those boots from cracking.

The cost of the parts really isn't a problem, but you guys probably know, it's a very labour intensive and time consuming repaire.

What's rather preplexing to me is that I read often how some people who've put on >150K mi. on their previous cars, some having owned about 5 or 6 different cars in the past and even living in northeast, and never had a CV joint problem due to the boots cracking or failing, let alone the CV joints itself going bad.

So, my question is, does anyone have a time proven or a definitive way to prevent the boots from failing? I read how some would liberally apply silicone spray on the CV boots and other boots everytime they changed the oil. Would that be a good way to prolong the life of or prevent the boots from cracking prematurely?

Any other suggestions or insight into this would be greatly aprpciated. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Reply to
Crikey Schmikey

I think CV joint boots are better now. However some cars seem particularly hard on boots. You could count on my '86 Sable needing at least one new boot every 65,000 miles. My Sisters each had a VW and both could only make 50,000 or so without needing at least one boot replaced (but they were easier than the Sable). I had a '78 Ford Fiesta that never had the boots fail, but I did take the joints apart and regrease them at around 120,000 miles. When I traded my '97 Expedition 4x4, the boots on the front axles were just fine at 149,000 miles. My Sisters '97 Civic has the original boots and they still look fine. The '83 Mazda 626 we owned never had the boots replaced in around 150,000 miles. My Father's 1999 Ranger 4x4 still has the original boots at around 50,000 miles.

I think the Sable was hard on boots because the steering gear allowed for relatively sharp cornering (for such a large car, it had a relatively small turning radius). I think the VWs were hard on boots because they leaked so much oil that the constant stream of fresh oil degraded the boot material.

I recommend that you just leave the boots alone. Keep an eye on them and replace if necessary. Chances are good you won't have problems this time.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to