Camry 97 - battery problem

My 97 Camry battery went dead today. I am sure that I didn't let anythiing on before leaving the car but anyway, I got a jumpstart and everything went fine until later in the day, after leaving again the car - and this time I carefully checked everything - someone called and tell me that my lights are on. How could this happen? The owner's manual clearly states that after removing the key everything goes off including the lights, and I know this is true. Can someone give me a hint? Could it be because of a short-circuit? Thanks in advance lulu

Reply to
lulu

The lights go out when the driver's door is opened. The "pin switch" in the door jamb that also controls the dome light, signals the opening of the driver's door. Check to see that the dome light goes on every time you open the door, or just press on the rubber covered switch to see if it is activating properly. Take out the bolt and clean or replace that switch if needed. Draining the standard car battery shortens its life. After you correct the problem, put a slow charger on the battery rather than attempting to allow the alternator in the car to bring it back to full charge.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus