Sheared off rear drive shaft

It's a '92 Previa with 2WD. The rear drive shaft near tranny got sheared off. I don't know why? Can I just get a used one from bone yard and install it? Or just replace the joint, bearing , yoke etc.? What should I do? I noticed that only the front tire on the driver side has uneven wear, and the brake pads (on the same wheel) has uneven wear too(inside pad wore more than ouside pad). Is this due to the failing rear drive shaft (before sheared off).

Any insights and info will be appreciated.

Reply to
Matt

||It's a '92 Previa with 2WD. The rear drive shaft near tranny got ||sheared off. I don't know why? Can I just get a used one from bone ||yard and install it? Or just replace the joint, bearing , yoke etc.? ||What should I do?

Sure, do that. I have never heard of this in anything short of a drag car. That Previa, even Supercharged, should not be able to destroy a driveshaft unless it was horribly abused. Have you been doing 6000 RPM clutch dumps in it??

Or, has a u-joint been making noise?

||I noticed that only the front tire on the driver side has uneven wear, ||and the brake pads (on the same wheel) has uneven wear too(inside pad ||wore more than ouside pad). Is this due to the failing rear drive ||shaft (before sheared off).

Unrelated. I'd suspect the caliper needs rebuilding and the caliper/bracket interface lubricated so it can slide as the pads wear.

|Any insights and info will be appreciated.

That was probably neither of those, but it was free :)

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Depends on how it broke. Also balance may be an issue.

That's another problem or two.

Reply to
Brent P

take the drive shaft to a driveshaft shop, they can repair,weld,balance,lengthen,shorten or whatever the shaft needs.

Reply to
jack

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Matt) muttered darkly in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The tire wear problem is an alignment issue, and is unrelated to the yoke.

The brake problem is also unrelated to the yoke. You have a seized pin on the caliper, or the outside pad is rusted in place. This is common when brakes are neglected. Time to service them.

--
TeGGeR®

How to find anything on the Internet:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tegger®

Thanks for all the inputs & hep. The van has 275K miles. I took a look at the sheared off location yesterday. The front U joint broke into two parts and the cross shape spider is gone. The remaining front end stays with the tranny and plugging the tranny from leaking. I figure it's probably beyond repair. I temporarily tied the driveshaft to the van body so that it won't flap around.

The rear U joint is still connecting to the differential axel. But, There is a samll pool of oil right underneath on the floor. Is my differential damaged?

After I buy a used one from a boneyard, can I install it myself; or I have to take it to a machine shop to have the driveshaft balanced first and let the shop install it??

Any help is appreciated, Matt

Reply to
Matt

What in the world for? If it's 2wd, how can you drive it???

Best me, why don't you open it up, take some pics and post them...

How would I/we know, do you have any tools? Do you know which end of the wrench to hold? I figure if you have to ask, then the answer is NO.

(Got any teen-aged kids..., who me??? ;-)

Can I just get a used one from bone

What does front tire/brake pad wear on a RWD car have to, aah nevermind, No, they don't have anything to do with your broken (rear) driveshaft.

--
-PapaRick Colombo@Ameritech.net
1972 MGB (Blue/Black top), w/1.8L 4-cyl inline, chrome bumpers:)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick Colombo

Sounds like the bearings in the universal joint froze

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus