Camry '99 steering shakes

Hello All,

My car reached 45k miles and it was 4 1/2 years old and the threads on my tires were worn out fully. So I got all my tires replaced with Good Year Eagle HP tires. When I go in speed >45 mph the steering wheel shakes. When I apply brakes it shakes a lot. I went to the tire shop and balanced the tires twice. Still its the same. I had this problem couple of years before when I did the rotation and balanced the tires with the dealer as part of the maintenance. When I took to the dealer he balanced it once again and it was ok but not completely stopped. It is appearing once again with the new tires. Is there any manufacturing defect with the car itself or its the tire shop who is not doing the good job? Any advice with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks

PS: Just now I had my water pump seized and got it replaced by the dealer which was covered under 5yr power train/engine warranty.

Reply to
Google User

do you mean it was ok with the old tires

Reply to
mark Ransley

Yes, it was ok with my old tires.

Reply to
Google User

Call the tire co tell them you want a different set or fix the problem. Maybe a better brand like Michelin. Did a tire co or your dealer replace the tires. Anyway probably one is defective, you may even call the tire manufacturer , Tell them you cant drive safely , and an accident will be their responsibility. That will get them to listen.

Reply to
mark Ransley

You could demand the old tires back, they wont have them of course. If it was me Id be mad and demand it be fixed . Think about stop pay on them.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Two guesses (assuming was OK before the new tires).

1) If they didn't use a torque wrench and over tightened (and/or unevenly tightened) the lug nuts with an air gun, could have caused a problem with the brake rotors. 2) Recently purchased a new set of tires. Had read online reviews at Tire Rack reflecting something like 5 million reader miles. Most everyone was very pleased with this brand and model (was rated 2nd out of 36), but a few reported the kind of shaking you describe and added that they never could get it resolved and decided never to buy that brand or type of tire again. When I had the tires installed (they happened to carry a 30 day "return for any reason" warranty, I told the installer that if the tires appeared to be out of round, or an excessive amount of weight was required to balance them, that tire would be considered defective and returned. He replied that if they discovered this type of tire during mounting they would not install it. So my guess is, you could have gotten one or more bad tires. There's also something called "road force variation" that can be checked with the right equipment. If you have a good tire store, they should work with you to solve the problem.
Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Google User;

Sears Auto refunded my money when the same vibration @ 60 mph happened after installing new tires. The manager was actually very nice, he offered to give me a replacement set, but I told him I don't want that, he gave me back my money with no questions. Try that with your tire shop.

Daniel;

Are you talking about the Continental ExtremeContacts? I bought those from tire rack, I hear this vibration noise @60mph, though no steering wheel shake.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

But what if they were hit by a meteor on their way to get the tires fixed because they were unsafe, would this be the fault of the tire maker?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Stupid question

Reply to
mark Ransley

Not Continental. Yokohama (Avid Touring). So far all is excellent. I went to a local installer whom I like - very clean shop, very friendly, informative and professional environment, good prices, always use a torque wrench for final tightening - and brought the computer printout from tire rack. They matched prices (surprised me, I would have accepted within a few dollars over), and included better service than mail order, plus road hazard warranty included. But mainly, as stated, if there were a problem with the tires immediately after installation, it is nice to have a local shop for an immediate exchange/ replacement. Feel kind of bad for tire rack (their information, their pricing, their reviews), but remember having to replace one of the last set of tires for "radial pull", and the local store replaced it no charge the following week with a new tire. I believe tire rack would do the same, but you've got more time delay.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

And thats why it got a stupid answer.

Reply to