camry i4 1999

Hi guys,

I test drove a Camry 99 very good condition, but noticed the dipstick didn't touch the surface of the oil. I had someone refill it, it took 2.5 qrts, half the amount of the oil bath, if I am correct. Car runs beautifully. What are the chances that a damage might have been done already? BTW the oil whatever was left looked black and thick, probably very old. I tried to piece together the history of the car, was sold in Sep 04 at auction, the "wholesale" says, had the same millageas today. How can you detect a fake title?

Thansks,

Jim.

Reply to
James Atkinson

didn't

What

Bet the last owner never had an oil-change or only once a year. Just to be sure, check the oil-filler cap has no thick deposits of sludge in it,.....if so,..avoid.

OTOH,...if the engine is quiet, it will be alright from a damage POV. Low sumps can cause momentary loss of oil-pressure when cornering, and also removes some of the cooling that oil does ( afact many folks dont realise),..but its not likely these factors were significant with just normal urban driving.

Jason

Jason

Reply to
Jason James
2.5 QTS , well my car uses 1/2 qt every 3-4 thousand miles so it is BAD oil, neglected,
Reply to
m Ransley

Yeah,...but from the original post the atual time it took for the oil to be burnt was indeterminant,...so I assumed it may not have been changed for a lot of time and miles.

An "oil-burner" will burn the oil before it gets "thick and black" generally...

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

probably junk , Soprice it that way

Reply to
m Ransley

Yea JASON it sounds like 10000 M on oil changes so how is his motor, May be trash. No oil changes

Reply to
m Ransley

Mark, what I was trying to convey was: the car may have had a relatively short period of abuse,...and as long as the engine was quiet with no sludge or carbon build-up, it may still be a reasonable buy provided the price was right.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

see nearest toyota dealer. they had a problem with people not changing oil and gelling up. it more than likely will be covered under warrenty. its worth a shot

Reply to
toyotawiz