Canadian Toyotas

Is it plausible for a Yank to buy a new Toyota in Canada and drive it home? Would it save me US dollars to do so? Are am i just wishful thinking here???

Reply to
MikeS.

Hi Mike

You are about 2 years too late. Price difference back than would have saved you about $3K to $5K. Alot of US buyers back then.

With the US dollar crashing in the world currency market there is no longer any significant benefit to buy in Canada. In fact, some models will cost you more.

Murphy

Reply to
Murphy

Seeing how most models are now cheaper to buy from the USA. I think you might have the situation a little reversed there buddy. Cheaper toyotas = USA. Your about 2 years too late.

Reply to
Steven Blue

No....That's all....just plain NO...It's not allowed.

You have to be a Canadian emigrating to the US (or coming here on assignment for work) or a US citizen who has been living in Canada for a period of time.

In other words:

No.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Oh, I'm sorry, besides *NO*, I forgot to mention the duty you would have to pay to 'import' a car, which *more* than negates any savings...

In other words:

NO ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

Canadian dealers gladly accomodated US buyers all the time despite their dealership agreements. This caused a shortage of some new and used vehicles a couple of years ago.

The savings on Canadian taxes that did not have to be paid on exported cars offset any US duties.

The only one getting peeved was Toyota Japan.

It was a win - win before the US dollar sank.

Reply to
Murphy

HachiRoku muttered darkly in news: snipped-for-privacy@ae86.GTS:

Duty to import to the US from Canada is ZERO if the car is assembled in Canada, on account of NAFTA.

If the car is less than 25 years old, and was assembled in a country not party to NAFTA, the duty is about 2.6%.

Legally, the toughest parts are that you need the Certificate of Compliance from the manufacturer, and to arrange with Customs for the vehicle's entry (72 hours?) beforehand.

Most American and Japanese cars sold in Canada these days are manufactured so as to be compliant in both Canada and the US without modification. They qualify with "minor labelling requirements".

--
TeGGeR®

How to find anything on the Internet:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tegger®

Interesting. When did all this happen? The last time I asked about buying a car in Canada was in 1991 (as a matter of fact the very same day the NAFTA treaty was being signed!)

There was sooooo much BS to go through, it was just NOT worth even trying!

Are you guys really sure about this? I mean, I actually asked a dealer

*and* customs about this!!
Reply to
HachiRoku

Why so hostile to my question? I firmly believe in saving a few or better bucks when I can. I know that Canadian and US Toyotas are interchangable for the most part. That with no duties because of NAFTA there goes another expense. I didn't realize that the US $ had slipped that much against the Ca $.

Seemed like a pretty harmless question to me.

You probably think that Yanks should be paying full boat for Rx drugs while we subsidize a lot of the rest of the world. Now that is just wrong...

Reply to
MikeS.

US drug consumers are just plain being ripped off and are not subsidizing anybody.

Consider that the rest of the world pays about half the US price and the drug companies still make an insane profit.

For example it may cost $ .02 cents to get a drug to market that sells for $1.00 in Canada. The same drug is then sold in the US for $2.00.

You might suggest that the difference is needed to support R&D on new drugs. Not so. Most new drugs come out the Universities. They are than sold to the drug companies who use their R&D to market them and protect their patents.

Reply to
The Patriot

I'm sorry, I was just kidding...I should have put a ;) in there.

Sorry if you took it that way, mate!

Besides, it seems from what people are saying, I may have been wrong. It does happen occasionally; but I did check in 1991, cause my brother in law worked in a GM plant in Oshawa, and the rules and regs were just impossible.

Again, sorry, man!

BTW, My mom takes 15 pills a day (at least) I'd drive her myself if she could save something.

I live near Springfield, MASS. The ex mayor was having the city's prescription plan buying Canadian drugs for the city's employees' scrips from Canada. They tried to nail him for it! To continue OT, I think Bush's people had their collective head up their ass when they passed the new drug plan that pays whatever the drug companies charge for scrips! WTF was that!!

Reply to
HachiRoku