CB Radio Hook up 04 SE

Can someone provide me with some easy to understand directions on how to hook up a power wire for my CB radio? Do I just wire it to a fuse? I know how to ground it but am not sure how to hook up the power wire? any photos would be appreciate too.

Thanks TRP

Reply to
The Real Picard

If you dont want to mess with the car's electrical system, and you dont mind if the CB set has power all the time (meaning you have to switch it OFF with its power-switch),..then just connect a wire to the Battery positive post MAKING SURE you have an inline fuse to protect against shorts and fire etc.

If you want to use the car's electrical system, and you set doesn't pull large current (no greater than an Amp or so),..connect it to a fuse holder which is used for the cigarette lighter. By doing this, you retain the function of "car-off CB off too,..unless on ACC".

The quality of the attachment to the Cig fuse is important,..if it uses spade-connectors buy a piggy-back adapter to make the job look professional.

NB

Some folks make the mistake of wiring to the 'rail side of the fuse array rather then the fused side. To check for this,..connect a test light to one end of the cig fuse holder,..then remove the fuse,..if the light still stays on connect your CB to the other side of the fuse-holder.

Earthing.

The chassis of a car is like a big -VE connector, but with RF (transceivers and such) its best to earth the set as near to the set as possible.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Hi,

Best is to go right back to the battery. Good figure 8 cable rated accordingly Fuse both lines + and - near to battery.

This will help keep noise down also on the receiver. It does mean that it is ALWAYS ON. and needs to be switched off when not used. Also earth the chassis of the rig to nearest body metal in final location.

You can usually get the cable thru the firewall ok along side other wires comming into cab. The big rubber grommet on the firewall usually takes an extra cable ok. Tie cable in few places with Tie Wraps so no long leads hanging around. Be careful of sharp metal work under the dash. Route in good position.

I am licensed ham for 45 years and run 100 watt transceivers in the car. But if you are not sure. Get it done for you. Bad wiring is VERY dangerous.

Enjoy de Johnny G3LIV.

Reply to
JM

You mean they still make cb's ?