check engine light

I have a 96 camry with 122,000 miles on it.My problem started with the check engine light coming on. I took it to my local auto mechanic where he coded the car for me.It came up low egr pressure and suggested that i replace the egr valve. I did and cleared the code by removing the fuse as explained in my hayes book. The light came back on . So I replaced the egr modulator and cleared the code again.The light came on for a third time . The only thing left i think is the vsv , which I can't get to. So I had the dealer do tha for me They replaced it for me cleared the codes and everything is find right. No! The check engine light came on again but this time when the dealer put it on the scanner no codes where found. Can anybody give any suggestions as to what might be the problem.

Reply to
toyocam

The gas delivery path from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve is clogged.

--
  - Philip

In spite of wars, pestilence, Great Floods, volcanoes,
and celestial collisions, the Earth and Mankind persist.
Reply to
Philip

Thanks phillip i will give it a go and see what happens

Reply to
toyocam

Well, that pretty much sucks that you replaced the EGR!!!! How much was it? I have learned to save the old parts unless I KNOW they're bad, and in a case like this I sell them to recoup at least SOME of my money.

Now, on to your question. I had this happen on a '95 Tercel (luckily thet TESTED the EGR and found it good!) They tried a couple other tricks, reset the light; it stayed off for 3 days (the longest up to that point) and it came back on.

Finally, just before I sold the car (still regretting it...ran great, 45 MPG and a kick-@ss sound system!) I removed each vacuum hose, one by one, and sprayed a plastic/rubber friendly Carb cleaner down each one. I drove the car two more times home and back (more than enough to trip the light), sent it out on two test-drives and never heard from the new owner about the MIL. I did start the car while the hoses still had carb cleaner in them; it ran rough for about 5-7 minutes and then smoothed out nicely.

Reply to
hachiroku

toyocam,

Reply to
Wulfdog

Thanks for all the advice. I pulled the down tube and it was clean I also pulled all the vaccumn lines as suggested and sprayed them with a user friendly cleaner,reset the check engine light by pulling the fuse and away I went on a test drive.A couple of start and stops later it came on.I'm at a lost. What now!!!!!!!!

Reply to
toyocam