Dead 93 Camry 2.2

Hi all, The wife was tooling around the other day and with no warning our Camry quit, we had it towed home, and I suspected the timing belt had quit....it should have, at 130,000 miles....but that was not the case, belt was intact and engine was in time. I swapped out the belt, since I had it open to look anyway, but it still will not fire, even with a little blast of ether shot right down the intact, which leads me to belive I have some electrical problem. I will probably have a local garage take over from here, but I'm wondering what electrical components are likely to fail all at once, coil,sensors, what? And, is there a way to check fault codes using the diagnostic connector, if you don't have a scanner? And, if there is, is there a website somewhere that tells what code number relates to what failure? I realize I'm asking a lot, and I'll probably have someone else repair this thing for me, because I'm out of time, but there's always next time..... Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Probably most common is the coil under the distributor cap, unless you've got the California model with an extermal coil - seem less likely to fail. Next most common might be the igniter. Haynes has the resistance values to check the coil. Factory service manual has the flow chart to trouble shoot the igniter. Obviously these are guesses, could be something else.

1993 had OBD-1, no code reader required. Jump the pins at the diagnostic connecter, and count the number of times the dash light flashes. (repair manuals have instructions and chart of fault codes)
Reply to
Daniel

intact

look

this

Launch your internet explorer and pull-up Google search engine. Click on 'Groups'... click on advanced... type this NGs name in the NG field then put the words ignition coil (and) igniter, in the 'words' field. Once yopu have done that you will have many previous posts about how to diagnose the ignition. Then using a fresh field, do a search on 'OBD' (On Board Diagnostics),..the same thing will happen,..lots of posts from the Google archives for this NG on that subject.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks guys, good info to know, as it turns out the wrecker driver could not get here today so I may get another chance at this thing. Thanks again, Ed

Reply to
Ed White