Delayed shifts 95 Corolla

This is the -A131 3 speed auto. Both 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are delayed. Have to rev up pretty good and let off the throttle to get the shifts to go. Manual low to 2 acts the same as well as manual 2-3. Flushed the filter screen and ran 2 gallons of fluid through to no avail. Sticky governer? TV cable? Any help is appreciated. BTW, 150,000 miles.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Brian being of bellicose mind posted:

First check the Throttle Valve cable adjustment. It IS possible for the cable to get *partially* out of its groove on the bell crank down at the valve body end which has the same effect as shortening the cable adjustment (raises shift points). To check this requires removing the pan. It is also easy to partially unseat the TV cable at the bottom end while replacing the filter/screen. Be careful.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Thanks, I'll take the pan off again and have a look. I have the factory manual and saw some pics and a description of that area (for cable replacement), but it didn't make much sense to me. I have another '95 with the 1.8 and E245 trans, and the routing of the tv cable is different. This one is a 1.6 and the tv cable routes up and right over and around the air cleaner cover, but I can't find any pics to show me if this is where it's supposed to be or not. Any idea on that? I'll dig into it again.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Brian being of bellicose mind posted:

Rule of thumb for cables: No sharp bends and do not secure a cable to something fixed. Cables are living, moving, links between points that must be free to move around. ;-)

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

I think I have it fixed. All I can figure is it is a replacement TV cable because the "stopper" on the throttle end was staked onto the cable at least 5/8 inch too far down the cable. The TV would not come close to a full return before the stopper jammed into the cable housing. The throttle (body) would only go to maybe 3/4 open before the TV travel stopped in the trans!! I have to talk to the owner yet as I have no idea how long this has been this way. I re-routed the cable like it is on my car and ends up in the same location as well. A little tweaking with the adjustment and the car shifts just fine now. Thank you for all your help.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Brian being of bellicose mind posted: