Differntial fluid change question

It's a '94 auto. 4cyl. I want to change the differntial lube in it. There is a drain plug & a filler cavity. What kind fluid should I put in it ? Anyone do this yet ? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
odyssey

Read yur manual, a 91 takes ATF.

Reply to
ransley

I am just about to do mine. Its a 1995 2.2 4/cyl.

My handbook says its the same as my auto box.

DEXRON 11 Automatic transmission Fluid. It says 0.8 Quarts drain and refill.

So that's my 95.

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

Use the same automatic transmission fluid. By the way, it is quite a mess to change the differential fluid. Make sure you have plenty of throw-away clothes.

Reply to
badgolferman

Ok, so it looks like the earlier A140 Aisin also uses the GM-Dexron fluid. Except that the Dexron II is not superceded by Dexron III. Don't use Dextron V or VI, I think those are different fluids for the new 6T/6L clutch-to-clutch transmissions.

Wipe the plug areas clean. Remove the fill plug and then the drain plug for venting. Plug up the drain and pump new ATF into the differential until it's about level with the fill hole.

It helps to have one of these quart sized pumps. Harbor Freight in the US sells different pumps at around USD$3-5.

johngdole

Thanks, I was thinking of going syn.fluid. Is there anything that comparable with Dexron 2 ?

odyssey

== Use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Anticipating problems others report, here are your answers: "Daisy chain" two combination wrenches together to remove the fill plug. Should make this process simple, but since some have had difficulty, make sure you can removee the fill plug prior to draining. You need to lift the car to get access. You should lift front and rear to keep it level. Use jack stands at the sub frame in front, and under a block of wood at the jacking points in the rear to distribute the load. Lift at the center of the front and rear sub frames. My recommendation is to always use fresh factory gaskets. You need a 10mm Allen head socket wrench for the drain plug. A funnel and a length of 1/2" hose makes the fill process easier as you can then fill from above in the engine compartment.

Reply to
Daniel