Disappointed! in the 2002 Camry LE.

Purchased a new 2002 Camry LE last year to discover that the oil pan had a leak. Toyota is apparently becoming Americanized to save money. They are using a liquid gasket sealant on the oil pan and the transmission. In some cases when it leaks, the dealerships call it seepage."Beware"! There is a lot involved in stopping this seepage or leak if retorqing the pan bolts and transmission bolts does not correct the problem. It didn't on my Camry LE. Take the time to check for leakage or seepage. Jim Ford

Reply to
James Ford

XXXXX

Not sure where it was built. How can I find out? Is it posted in the engine somewhere?

Reply to
WrongNote

AV,

VIN starts with a number, not a J, so I guess it's American.

Reply to
WrongNote

North American, anyway.

1st Digit of VIN

------------------- US - 1 or 4 Canada - 2 Mexico - 3

Reply to
Travis Jordan

A television program's long term reviewers also experience this problem on their Camry, so this must be a common problem on the new Camries, among other things like the transmission giving off an occasional clunk during slow down and less than smooth engagement of iVVT.

It's too bad Toyota's quality is going steadily downhill during the past few years.

James Ford wrote:

Reply to
John

What is "iVVT" ? Is this the same "iVVT" that changes the cam shifts in the transmission? Is there a TSB to fix "iVVT" from making clunking noises?

Philip

"If a long train of abuses, prevarications, and artifices, all tending the same way, make the design visible to the people . tis not to be wondered that they should then rouse themselves."

- John Locke (1632-1704)

Reply to
Philip®

I think it's actually VVT-I (Variable Valve Timing - Intelligence?)

Same think as Honda's i-VTEC, IIRC.

Jase

2003 Honda Accord EX-V6 VTEC
Reply to
Jason Traber

Same *thing*

Jase

Reply to
Jason Traber

LOL, and yeah philip, it really clunks when it kicks in. Hey Philip, have you felt the clunk when your VVTi kicked in? :-D They mush use a non synchro set up on the intake cam gear for it to clunk and m,ake all that rackett!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Ya know... I had to sit here a bit to collect myself. In so doing, I got it all together. When the VVT-i kicks under heavy throttle above 3,900 RPM, the clunk is John's wooden head hitting the head restraint.

--