Changing 'out' a battery ... 94 Camry

Readership,

Other than a cable 'off/on' swop , what is the proceedure to . swop in a new battery yet ... . retain any electronicly stored parameters ???

My 'book' ( OEM camry 94 ) vaguely mentions ... " Start the work =within= 90 sec of turning the key to LOCK. " ...

A pointer, or two, would be nice.

A 'victim' of Winter_Kill, & a interior dome lite left on ... zero(0) here last nite.

Many thanks , Ed

Reply to
0_Qed

I never read of the time stipulation - If old one is totally gone then those setting like the radio, clock, radio theft code are already kaput. They do make plugs that go in the cigarette lighters to keep 12 volts in the system or guess you could mess with jumper wires to keep voltage in the system. On my 93 Camry the darn air bag dash light was activated by removing the battery - cost $26 at dealer to reset it. Hopefully they corrected that design flaw in newer ones.

Reply to
Wolfgang

From the 'Toy' invoice for the 3_vol repair manual 'set' ...

. 00040-rm361-01 ; RM 94 Cam Vol 1 Engine ; vol_1 of 3

All thru out the Elec section, Vol 1 ... same 'wording' in a repeated advisory ...

Scant mention of battery in, & connected, " jump start " technique, either.

Enuf 'left' to power the interior, dome lite.

Good thot. Easy enuf to cob a plug-in 12vdc adaptor.

Thanks.

Ed.

Reply to
0_Qed

Here's what I've done on my '94. Just write down the radio presets on a piece of paper and store it in the back page of the Owner's manual in the glove box. Make sure the ignition key is fully to the "OFF" position. That's it. Never had any problems with an air bag light. Install the new battery, reset the clock and radio and you're done. BTW, there are "freshness" codes on batteries. Don't use on more than six months old.

Reply to
Daniel

Wolfgang, Could any other factors have been involved? When I replaced the battery in my wife's '93, I just pulled the battery, took it to the parts store as a trade in/disposal, got the new one, came home, then hooked it up. Battery was out about an hour. The removal of the battery wasn't started within 90 seconds of turning the key to lock. No airbag light appeared. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

Further to previous post I found this in the shop manual. Hope it's of use to someone. It would seem to apply to those lighter adapters.

"To avoid erasing the memory of each memory system, never use a back-up power supply from outside the vehicle."

Reply to
NickySantoro

Will try 'above'.

Good to know about the 'codes' too.

Still leaves the 90_second advisory up in the air. The dealership mite answer that one.

And ... ask about external 12vc power application.

Ed

Reply to
0_Qed