Don't shoot your mouth off or else!

Have 97 camry 4cyl with 92k miles. I have had many conversations to the effect that camrys last.a long time, rides smooth and is low maintenance. That may be the case for other toyotas but mine is starting to disintegrate. Everything was fine up until about 8 mos ago when i discovered that the oil switch on the firewall was leaking! If i hadn't noticed that the oil level was low i probably would have lost the car. It emits white smoke when started (overnite) so the valve seals are faulty. The front struts had to be replaced. Recently the dealer had to replace the manifold pipe(s) which btw contain the catalytic converter! That alone cost $1200. Toss in another $300 for the wiper motor that will not shut off.

I think i have learned a lesson. No more tooting about toyota. Detroit makes junk but it has a lot of competition!

Reply to
humblejohn

When they say a car was a good model it's usually 10 or more years old, but by then the new ones are sometimes a different breed. My 91 camry has been pretty good (still is), but interested to hear later models might not be as good. Depends what sort of life it had too.

Reply to
jg

Don`t shoot your mouth off is right stupid. So how many cars have you really owned, because if thats all that occured its nothing to whine about cry baby. So the oil switch leaked, a 9 yr old 92000 mile car it is.

White smoke means little but your oil change intervals and type of driving caused it, it hurts absolutely nothing, and actualy lubes the upper end on startup, the critical time.

OH MY, the front struts needed replacing at 9yrs and 92000 miles, you really show how much of a moron you really are on this issue, you would have something to Bitch about if it was 20-30000, but not over 45000 miles. What a Maroon you are, an Ftard

Replace manifold pipes? 1200? why, a bit of common knowledge for you Jonny boi dealers are often double the price, did you get a few other pries or get suckered.

300 for a wiper motor, gee what an ass you are, I just had one replaced 76$ total job, Yours wont shut off, Now you really show your low,IQ. The motor is not the switch, and any good mechanic guarntees his work-sucker.

What I see is in reality possibly 500 dollars worth or repairs on a nearly 10yr old car with 92000 probably abused miles.

Gee my 2000 Cadillac DHS has needed OVER 5000$$ in issues, did your inteligence ever lead you to checking the used value of your car, a

50000$ 2000 Deville has the same value as a 18000$ 2000 Camry. So sell it mr moaner, your to stupid to realise what is called maintenance. You should lease or ride a bus, you know nothing about cars.
Reply to
m Ransley

Any chance of maintaining some civility here?

Reply to
Daniel

Sure Daniel, as long as bozos don`t come here to unjustifiably rant.

Reply to
m Ransley

John, as long as you think that only a dealership can service an exhaust system you are likely to be abused with prices, and maybe even quality of work.

Reply to
<HLS

The '97 in question has 92 k miles and has had more than a few problems....

My '97 has almost 132K miles and all we've done to it is redo the brakes (front only) at 95K, replace the timing belt and water pump at the same time (95K) and last year replace a cv joint boot that was splitting. Oh, and a new battery a few years ago. After ten model years, the car still doesn't burn oil, other than the wisp of smoke at startup, and nothing else in the power train has caused trouble. Oh, yeah, the major problem now is that the clock quit working.....but it's a bad connection that I don't care to fix since I wear a watch and have a clock in my cellphone.

Reply to
mack
97 is the year Toyota started major cost cutting. So they don't make them like they used to.

Hey, at least your transmission doesn't skip gears like the 2007 Camry ;) Talk about major cost cutting -- 20% of the tranny parts.

Reply to
johngdole

Well most other Jap/Korean co's have started making cars virtually disposable too... but they are cheap.

Reply to
jg